[MacDV] question about which G4 to buy for digital vido

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Sat May 31 11:34:27 PDT 2003

gail weisman wrote:

>hi folks,
>
>i'm hoping someone can give me some good solid advice reagarding buying a
>new G4 digital video and audio editing and Midi work. i've been a graphic
>designer for about 12 years so i'm familiar with designing for print and web
>and what i need to do that on my Macs, but i'm CLUELESS about the digital
>video thing!
>
>i haven't upgraded in quite some time (don't laugh, i still have a power mac
>7500/100) and i'm not sure about:

REal quick!

>1. different graphics cards, i.e., Nividia vs. Radeon, etc., also video
>in/out options... what exactly do i need or what is best  for digital video
>and audio editing?

don't worry about it. Those are not your signal, just the display.
Whatever it comes woth will be good.

>2. should i get one of the dual boot systems so i can keep using OS 9 which
>i'm fairly familiar with (and i've been told is less buggy than OS x) or
>should i just get the new system with jaguar and deal with it? is jaguar
>better for video?

A refurbed or overstocked dual boot machine would be good for someone
who has had their mac for so long.

>3. will i need to upgrade anything (besides maybe buying more hard drive
>space and RAM) to handle video and audio editing, like sound or video cards
>or specific hardware (besides camera)?

Big hard drive (Seagate)  and you need a firewire to analog converter.
 It's handy even if ony fopr the monitor

>4. finally, what's the difference between the lower end G4 and the higher
>end ones ... in other words, what exactly do i get for the $500 price
>difference between the $1495 model to the $1995 to $2495 models?

dual processors and Superdrive.  Buy the one that was hot 8 months ago.

>any help would be GREATLY appreciated, also, if there are specific monitors
>which are better for editing, etc.

That's a personnal price issue. I would like a great spanking wide mac
flat display but could only afford a
Lacie electronblue 19"    it's pretty nice.
Jim