[MacDV] No sound on VCD file

CP Reyes otomed at skyinet.net
Tue Nov 4 16:17:54 PST 2003

>What do people use to create a VCD file from a DVD back-up?
[snip]

>There are problems:
>1.  The finished AVI has video, but no sound.
>       I tried QT player, and VLC software, and both of these played the
>video but no sound.
>       (Sound turned up all the way on computer, etc).
>
>2.  When I try to burn the file to VCD using toast 5.2.1, Toast refuses
>the input and says the file is
>      not a multiple of some number of bytes (2352 or some such).
>
>How do other people create a VCD file from a DVD back-up?

Us 'other people' not sold on OSX use 9.2. The DVD is read off a China made
all regions DVD/VCD/MP3 player hooked to a Canopus AVDC-100 transcoder to
lock video and audio (eliminates lip-sync problems). Composite RCA output
goes to the back of a vintage PM 8500/G3-400/PCI-ATI Radeon 7000/2-36 gig
Cheetah SCSI-320. Capture software is Adobe Premiere 5.1 to create the
video file. I use Asterte Media Pack 3.5.1 to encode to MPEG-1 (or 2) in
PAL or NTSC formats that Toast 5.2 easily recognize. The system is so
stable that moving up to OSX will just create more problems to solve.

Charlie