Moving into DVD - help!!!

Karl Hayden khayden at iol.ie
Mon Nov 10 09:41:04 PST 2003

Hello everyone,

This may be a bit long but hope you can stay with me and offer any
advice you may have.

Increasingly I am being asked for finished work on DVD. The programme I
most often use to edit with is iMovie2 as the material usually consists
of simple cuts, I gave up on iMovie3 as a bad joke. Mostly I would send
out the finished material to someone to burn the DVD, but it is costly
and can sometimes be more trouble that it is worth. The problem with
trying to produce the DVDs myself is:-

1: I am using iDVD and that limits the amount of running time I can
produce on a DVD-R 4.7Gb to less than 50mins.

2: Too often I have had my DVDs returned as they won't play on other
machines.

3: The burning process often fails before the DVD is finished.

4: The amount of time it takes to burn a DVD ties up my computer for
far too long.

I need to move up a gear and start producing the DVDs myself. With
something more reliable than iMovie or iDVD. So this is where I need
the voice of experience, ie: YOU.

As I understand it there are a number of options open to me.

1: I make more use of FinalCut Express, which I understand has a DVD
facility to it, but I have never used.

2: I buy a copy of DVD Studio Pro to produce the DVDs after editing on
FinalCut Express.

3: I upgrade my current iMac SuperDrive to a G5.

4: I buy an external DVD burner for faster burn time.

Or an alternative which has been suggested to me is to buy a DVD video
recorder. I have one on trial at the moment, Panasonic DMR-HS2. It has
a 40 GB hard drive, so if I need to produce multiple copies I can load
that up and keep replacing the DVD-R for each copy. This alternative is
OK(ish) but, the firewire connection does not work between the computer
and the DVD video recorder, the firewire between camera (Canon XL1)
does work,  but there are a lot of pixel drop-outs and other
distortions which take away from the reason to have a DVD video
recorder. I have tried using the composite connections, s-video
connections and the composite to scart connection. But, that is just
adigital signal converted to an analogue signal converted back to
digital and I can see the difference between this and the firewire
connection. AND one of the main reasons for DVD is to be able to create
chapters and graphics to go with them but I can't do that with this
machine.

So here I am..... am I expecting too much from a semi-professional
set-up? Do I need to take out a mortgage to buy all new equipment and
go state of the art?

Any help, advice or guidance anyone can offer would be very much
appreciated at this point. Please don't suggest talking to an Apple
agent, buying a magazine/book or to look up the internet. I need to
hear from people with experience of DVD production and who have no
particular affiliation to one product line or brand. This move
represents a big financial investment for me and I want to get it right.

Many thanks in advance for your time.

Karl