[MacDV] Moving into DVD - help!!!

Brett Koonce koonce at universe42.com
Mon Nov 10 10:02:59 PST 2003

Some thoughts:

1) Latest version of iDVD goes to 90 minutes, and can do nifty chapter
markers/whatnot.

2) This is most the fault of spotty DVD-R support and less the burning
program.  If you're making money off this, use Apple's media, which are
about the cheapest highly compatible disks out there.  No hardware
switch/combo is going to improve this problem.

3) Possibly cheap media, possibly something else.  How much ram is in
the burning machine?

4) I usually just slide iDVD down to the bottom of the screen and go on
using the web/whatnot.  YMMV.

As for the rest: depends on the amount of work you want to do.  I
really like iDVD because it's a great simple way to throw a bunch of
video clips to a program, hit burn, and let the machine do the rest.
If you get DVD Studio Pro (high-end), be prepared to spend some time
learning the program, plus at least 20-100 hours to do a single DVD.
Granted, the templates in DSP2 simplify the process somewhat, but it's
similar to the difference between iMovie and FCP.  After you know the
program, it gets a lot faster, but it's not a trivial increase in
complexity.

Now, for the nifty feature of the day: lay out your DVD in iDVD3, and
then open it into DSP2 and tweak to your heart's desire.  Viola!
Fastest way I know of to get the best of both worlds.

-Brett
www.universe42.com