iDVD

Laurie, Richard RLaurie at ligand.com
Tue Nov 11 14:20:10 PST 2003

You have a super drive so really you can do the DVD's yourself. Here are
answers to your questions

1: I am using iDVD and that limits the amount of running time I can
produce on a DVD-R 4.7Gb to less than 50mins.
Actually with the latest iDVD you can include up to 90 minutes (minus
the amount of space the menu takes up)

2: Too often I have had my DVDs returned as they won't play on other
machines.
Some DVD discs will not play in certain DVD players. I have had the best
success with Apple brand (they are a little more expensive). A recent
article in DV magazine rated them the most compatible with DVD players.

3: The burning process often fails before the DVD is finished.
Make sure you let iDVD encode the movies before trying to burn. This may
take overnight on your machine. Make sure you disable the energy saving
features so that you don't inadvertently stop the encoding. Once the
encoding is done then and only then burn the DVD.

4: The amount of time it takes to burn a DVD ties up my computer for
far too long.
Let it run overnight.

I need to move up a gear and start producing the DVDs myself. With
something more reliable than iMovie or iDVD. So this is where I need
the voice of experience, ie: YOU.

As I understand it there are a number of options open to me.

1: I make more use of FinalCut Express, which I understand has a DVD
facility to it, but I have never used.
Final cut is only editing software. You will still need either iDVD or
DVD Studio Pro

2: I buy a copy of DVD Studio Pro to produce the DVDs after editing on
FinalCut Express.
DVD Studio Pro will allow you to put longer movies onto a DVD. Someone
who uses it may be able to tell you what the limits are for DVDStudio
Pro

3: I upgrade my current iMac SuperDrive to a G5.
G% would encode faster and if you are using a 2X super drive, the G% has
a 4X so the burning would be twice as fast.

4: I buy an external DVD burner for faster burn time.
If you do that you will also need to buy DVD Studio Pro or use the
software that comes with the drive. Mac Addict December issue has a
review of the different drives and software. Bottom line, stick with
iDVD or get DVD Studio Pro.