[MacDV] Re: Moving into DVD- Help!!!--MacDV Digest #2434

Gerhard Kuhn gerhardk at mac.com
Tue Nov 11 10:05:24 PST 2003

I have made a lot of DVDs successfully and I think the secret is
patients.  iDVD running on a G4 iMac with a superdrive does a fine job
of it.  When you finish your project and have tweaked it to your hearts
content leave things be until iDVD has finished encoding the project.
Make sure that all energy saving features have been turned off since
they will interfere with the progress of the encoding.  Now when you
rise in the morning rested and iDVD has slaved away encoding your
project it is time to press the burn button and insert a disk.  In an
hour or less you will have a recorded disk that should play on most DVD
players.  If iDVD does not have features that you need from DVD Studio
Pro then by all means upgrade but iDVD will do a great job of authoring
DVDs with little fuss and very good results.

 From what I have heard most problems are encountered when the burn
button is pressed before the encoding is finished so just be patient
and hope that you don't have a power failure.  I know that I stand
somewhat alone on this last point but it has been my experience that
the cost of the media has little influence on the playability of the
final disk.  My experience has been if a set-top player has trouble
playing -R disks the brand of the disk makes little/no difference.  One
disk I made using Ritek media had audio issues played on a cheap
set-top player and a copy burned to Imation media of the same project
ran better but not perfect.

Gerhard