Moving into DVD- Help!!!--MacDV Digest #2434

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Tue Nov 11 09:19:45 PST 2003

I also have a Panasonic DMR-HS2 and and Canon XL-1.

Like you, I've found that there's no way to get a clean Firewire transfer
(no pixel blocks) from either the computer (iMac 500MHz DVSE) or the XL-1.

What does seem to work cleanly is first transferring via Firewire to my
DCR-TRV520 D8 camcorder, and then off to the DVD recorder via Firewire.

I would suspect that Sony has better error correction somewhere in the
chain.  I'd rather be able to get to DVD in one hop, (iMac to DVD recorder)
but at least this is clean, and digital.

For more than a few copies, I take a single DVD to a friend of mine who has
a 1 x 4 disc duplicator and burn them in the appropriate number of
multiples.

Re: Chapter markers and such...  I'm in the same boat you are with the
Panasonic deck, but some of the suggestions other folks made might be
helpful in terms of burning fewer coasters on your Mac.

I saw DVD Studio Pro 2 demoed by Apple at a San Francisco event recently,
and it looks really simple to use.  Apple has built in a lot of time-saving,
step cutting features, making the process of building a really slick-looking
DVD interface quick and easy.

I'd be able to use it out of the box, and am looking forward to getting a
new box to use it with.  (G5 DP, 2-3 GB RAM, grin!)

Good luck...

Ted.