iMovie 3.0.3 - the movie doesn't play all of a sudden

Juan juanm at mac.com
Thu Nov 13 21:00:58 PST 2003

Hi

I thought I had graduated to Final Cut Express when I decided to do a
movie in iMovie 3. Everything seemed to be fine until I got the classic
message when opening the file: "There are 192 files that don't belong
in the project.  Would you like to move them to the Trash?" Well since
I figured that 192 files sounds like the whole movie, I don't think I
will trash them! So I continue editing and adding photos and video and
everything seems fine. This is only a 4 minute video. Then I open the
file and get the same message and I decide to send the movie to the DV
camera. Thinking it was being sent to the camera I left the room. I
came back and assumed it was done. I then tried to view it on my TV and
nothing was there. So I went back to iMovie only to find that even
though all the clips (still and video) and audio were shown in the
timeline when I clicked play the playhead moves across the clips but
nothing is shown or heard. Again the playhead tracks across the video
and still clips and the audio track but no video is seen and no sound
is heard!!! However, if I select one or more video or still clips, both
the audio and video play fine!

So when I try to send the video back to the camera nothing is captured
by the camera.

I then tried to trick it by exporting it to a QT movie instead (in DV
quality). It worked perfectly and I was then able to get that into the
camera.

What is going on here?

corrupt files?
corrupt iMovie?
corrupt preferences file?
gremlins in my Mac?

I did run Disk Warrrior and it fixed a bunch of stuff but it did not
good to the movie. It still runs (or not runs) the same! I ran disk
first aid and fixed permissions. Nothing!

I opened up the iMovie file with TextEdit and I don't know enough to
know if any changes are needed.

any ideas???

thanks

juan