[MacDV] Re: Re making a cross platform dvd

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Fri Nov 21 09:12:47 PST 2003

On Nov 7, 2003, at 10:19 AM, Peter van der Linden wrote:

> On Nov 21, 2003, at 3:35 PM, cathal mc carthy wrote:
>
>> Question why do commercially made dvds work on both mac and pc when a
>> dvd burned on the mac will not open on a win xp that can play
>> commercial dvds?
>
> Because the standards aren't perfect?  Because of software bugs (as
> you saw on win 98)?   Because your software isn't fully up to date?

Also because not all DVD players can handle "burned" vs. "pressed"
disks. Unfortunately, it even comes down to the media itself sometimes.
Its possible the brand of DVD media you have won't work with the Dell,
but if you burned the same movie using a different brand of DVD media
it might work. If the DVD works in a stand-alone DVD player, I'd tend
to blame the Dell drive or the combination of the Dell drive and that
brand of media.

Also, before filing a bug report with Apple, I'd check with Dell to
make sure their drive can read homemade DVDs.

-Mike