[MacDV] which camera is best? Short documentary-animation

Richard Dalziel-Sharpe dalshar at optushome.com.au
Thu Oct 2 03:15:01 PDT 2003

Peter
May I suggest a Sony DV8. I have one and it has stood up very well to
hard use for nearly four years.
They are larger than DV cams, therefore have larger motors and most of
the controls etc are easier to get at because of the size.
They use Hi 8 tape which is about half the price of DV tape.
If you only want stills to make your animation and if it will only need
to be shown on television then the stills you can take with a video
camera will be quite adequate. I would strongly suggest you get a
separate digital still camera if you really need high quality stills.
You can get a Firewire pci card to put in your 8500 very cheaply, but
the problem is that the system bus on an 8500 is probably bit slow for
video capture. I tried using a 7300/200 which had about the same specs.
I upgraded it with a Sonnet G3/400 heart transplant and never quite got
it working right. The iMac would probably be a better bet, especially
if it has iMovie loaded as this would  work very well for the size
project you are envisaging.
Good luck
Richard