Avid FreeDV software

David Thrasher idave at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 7 19:56:48 PDT 2003

I just found out that Avid FreeDV is now available for download. It took such a long time to appear that I was beginning to think it was vaporware. I've downloaded it but I'm not going to be able to run it because it requires Mac OS 10.2.4 which I don't have yet. (Not that anyone cares here, there's also a version of it available for download that runs on Windows XP. Of course, because of Windows bloat, it is nearly double the file size.)

It's free software and I can only assume that Avid intends it to be an iMovie killer and hopes that people who use it will want to move up to their pricey professional software instead of Final Cut Pro.

I'd be curious to hear on this list from anyone who might try it out and see what their impressions of it are. I'd like to see how it would compare to iMovie as far as both ease of use, features and just how well it works. I may eventually have a newer version of Mac OS X but for now I'll just have to hear from you guys.

Here's the link to get to it for anybody interested:

 http://www.avid.com/freedv

-Dave