[MacDV] Re: Avi FreeDV software

Steve Robertson stever at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 9 05:20:24 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, October 8, 2003, at 06:33  PM, Laurie, Richard wrote:

> Just my thoughts. If anyone else has been brave enough to try it and
> can
> offer some advice, I may go back to testing again. But for now I am
> sticking with iMovie until I make the switch to FCE or FCP.

I downloaded FreeDV and installed it, but could never get it to run
properly. The timeline and canvas windows would open, then the old
spinning beach ball of death would take over. Reading the forum at the
Avid website revealed that others had the same problem. One person
suggested that somehow his broadband Internet connection was involved,
and FreeDV would work only if he unplugged his Ethernet cable! Others
(apparently those who had already upgraded to OS 10.2.8) developed
serious problems after installing FreeDV. Avid had to issue an upgrade
to the Mac version immediately (from version 1.0 to 1.01). I, too,
uninstalled the FreeDV (I had version 1.0), but I might try again after
they've had time to work out some of the bugs.

Steve R.