[MacDV] Re: Hard drives

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Thu Oct 16 06:11:55 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, October 15, 2003, at 08:18  PM, ShirleyK wrote:

> Would you think that if the drive powers up (and sounds normal), the
> light goes on on the enclosure, but the drive just never appears on
> the desktop that it could still be a power problem?

It could still be a problem if the drive isn't quite getting up to
speed, though it it gets this far I really don't know. Remember the
drive not only has to be kept spinning at its target speed, you also
need power to move the read/write heads around. The only way to be sure
is to borrow or buy an external power source and see if that fixes the
problem.

For the original poster, I don't know if its an option to call the
company you got the enclosure from and tell them you'll buy the power
adapter on the condition that if it still doesn't work you can return
it and the enclosure for a refund -or whatever deal you want or can set
up with them. Make sure to record all details of the call such as who
you talked to, when you called, and write down notes on what was
actually said -just in case.

After further reflection, I also have to say my statement about these
enclosures being just a case with a couple cables and plugs was a
little off. There is also a Firewire bridge which shouldn't take too
much power.

-Mike