Video Disc capture and creation help?

Dennis R. Cohen drcohen at mac.com
Thu Oct 16 06:53:26 PDT 2003

On 10/15/03 at 3:21 M, Michael Winter <winter at mac.com> transmitted the
following electronic message:

>On Wednesday, October 15, 2003, at 02:08  PM, Mark O'Brien wrote:
>
>> There are two ways I know of to put this on an SVCD: iVCD ($29 from
>> www.mireth.com) or Toast Titanium 6.
>
>Can you squeeze a 1 hr show (-commercials) onto a SVCD? I thought the
>limit was a little over 30 min, but  I could easily be wrong about that
>(I've never done it myself).

SVCD is a VBR encoding scheme. Depending on your source material and
your settings, you can get anywhere from 25 minutes (give or take) to
well over an hour on a single CD. The typical one-hour TV show, minus
commercials, is about 43-44 minutes (includes opening/closing credits).
There are various newsgroups on Usenet that host vast quantities of TV
episode posts in SVCD format and they fit on one 80-minute CD.

Check out ffmpegX as a means of encoding your content. Neither iVCD nor
Toast allow more than minimal control over the encoding parameters
(standard and high are the only settings). Burn the result with your
burning software of choice -- mine is Toast 6.

--
Dennis R. Cohen
Mac Digital Photography