Converting QT .mov files to .mpg

Richard Gilmore rgilmor at uwo.ca
Wed Oct 22 09:35:49 PDT 2003

We had somebody in who had some video on VHS that she needed captured to be
used in a Powerpoint presentation on a PC. I used iMovie and had no problems
making some QT .mov clips about 1 minute each. The QT clip of course wouldn't
work on her PC so I used Cleaner 6 to convert it to an mpg 2. The only problem
is that the original QT file was about 500k and .mpg file Cleaner created was
over 6 megs(!), which was too big. I then made a .wmv file which was about
twice the size of the QT file and worked fine on her PC. What I'm wondering is
why was the .mpg file so much larger than the QT file? Is there something I'm
doing wrong? What would be the best approach to convert a .mov file to .mpg? We
have a lot of this kind of cross platform issues.

thanx much

Richard

(thanx also for the FW box help in some previous posts)