iMovie 3.0.3 Problems

Ian Tucker carlian at picknowl.com.au
Tue Oct 28 23:48:36 PST 2003

The" bush telegraph" has it that a new version of iLife will be
released in January which will include iTunes 5 and significant
upgrades for iMovie and iDVD.   If this rumour does come to fruition  I
then hope it might improve the performance of iMovie 3.0.3 for me.   I
have two problems namely :-

1. I am experiencing electronic "pops" when joining some clips together
(no transition used).  It does not happen that often and I can
sometimes remove it by either cropping the last of the first clip, or
the start of the second clip.  It happens where there is no audio, or
where I have reduced the audio to "o".     Also, when using "Fade In"
the audio jumps from one level to another, rather than being smooth and
the picture is fluttery until the transition is completed.

2. As I get more into editing  a movie eg. adding titles, transitions
and still photos,  the Appn. gets slower and it takes ages for "Save
Project" ,  "Play",  or other commands
to respond.  Strangely though,the process of  adding  transitions and
titles to the time line doesn't slow down during the editing of a movie.

I could return to iMovie 2( as I placed it into a separate folder at
Kunga's suggestion at the time iMovie 3 came out) , but I prefer to
work with the latest version because of the Ken Burns effect and the
ability to use rubber banding when adjusting audio.   I do note that
although I may produce a movie with iMovie 3 it will at times open up
in iMovie 2.

I am using OSX 10.2.6 on a G4 933 mhz. with 640 mbs of RAM.   At the
end of the latest movie I still had 24 gigs to spare on the HD.

My Applications (OSX) window (folder) has three items in it
appertaining to iMovie viz :-

             iMovie (which is iMovie 3.0.3 Appn. on its own  and appears
as the blue clapperboard the same as in the Dock)
             iMovie 2 Folder (which contains a Resources Folder, iMovie
2 Appn and an iMovie guide)
             iMovie Resources Folder (which is identical to the
Resources Folder immediately above)

Could the rearrangement of these , or the deletion of the iMovie 2
Folder help?

Any assistance, or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Ian Tucker