[MacDV] Re: NTSC miniDV camcorder in France...

Ben Ing vbing at mac.com
Tue Sep 2 21:16:01 PDT 2003

Actually, the original reason that the different standards exist is
tied to the different voltages in the countries. B&W TV was based on
the 60Hz AC current in the US (giving us 30 fps), while in Europe,
since the current was 50Hz, they went with 25 fps. The main
complication came when they decided to add the color carrier. The
frequency chosen was a multiple of 60, causing the color carrier to
beat against the main signal, forcing the NTSC system to have to come
up with dropframe as a fix. In Europe, because the base signal was 50,
they didn't have the problem and didn't have to patch their system.

With NTSC, problems have always existed in moving between the video and
film formats, and those problems have continued as we have moved to
digital formats. Some animation projects have gone to working in the
PAL formats where film, video and digital formats all work at 25 fps,
allowing for much easier portability between systems.