[MacDV] Re: NTSC miniDV camcorder in France...

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Wed Sep 3 06:44:27 PDT 2003

On Friday, August 22, 2003, at 06:53 PM, Karl Hayden wrote:

> Then nationalism took over and here we are

IMO its not so much nationalism as the fact that its so hard to change
a standard that's this entrenched. Its not like a computer where you
just need a new bit of software or a plug-in card to add/change a
standard. Its an entire infrastructure. Everything from cameras to
editing tools to archiving to broadcasting and receiving to display has
to be changed. Just look at how long we've been trying to get a new
standard in place here in the US. Even with a "mandate" from Congress
its taking years (decades?) -and that's to implement a standard that's
clearly better in all respects.

-Mike