[MacDV] Formac Devideon DVD burner

Rod Duncan roduncan at telus.net
Wed Sep 3 09:10:51 PDT 2003

Run... don't walk away from Formac. You must have missed my earlier
posts on this company and their product. Grrrr!

In January I purchased the burner directly from them. After a major
screwup on their part on the original order, I should have known
then, if they can't even get an order straight how good can their
hardware/software be? They DIDN'T inform me that  there would be a
20% restocking/return fee if it was returned. In my case, it was
within 2 weeks.

The Devideon software was Sloooooow to encode and unreliable (v.2)
The drive is a Pioneer and available everywhere so all they are
selling is a case design and software. Which in both instances was
extremely poor.The case has a ridiculous swoopy design that you can't
stack anything on and a Mickey Mouse cheapo spring device to kick
open their flimsy plastic door when the Pioneer door opens
underneath. All form and no function. The whole package and
tech/customer support was so bad that I decided to eat the customer,
stinging 20% which, as mentioned, had NOT been revealed to me by them
at time of purchase. I pleaded my case with a couple of individuals
at Formac explaining the situation. All to no avail.

My advice: Buy a bare Pioneer DVD burner and use an excellent case
from either Firewire Depot or Firewire Direct which also includes a
USB 2 port in addition to the firewire. Bare drives DVR-105's are
currently priced at $149 US shipped at ESBuy.  Check dealmac online
for the latest and best pricing. There are a couple of bundled deals
there. Yes. Buy Roxio Toast Titanium. It will do it all for you.
CD's, DVD's you name it. I couldn't live without Toast. If you are
serious about music CD's get Roxio Jam, too.

Formac has a name that belies its true intent. They should call
themselves ForFormac. I promised them I would post bad reviews
whenever I had the chance.

"Don't get mad... get even!"

My 2 cents.

Rod