[iMovie-List] iDVD3: encoding hack ?

Erica Sadun erica at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 10 19:49:15 PDT 2003

To: "Macintosh Digital Video List"  <MacDV at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
From: Erica Sadun <erica at mindspring.com>
Subject: Did it. (Encoding iDVDs at a lower bitrate)
Bcc:
Attachments:
So, out of curiousity, I decided to take a break from
writing and see if I could make iDVD encode at the
bitrate I desired.

I edited the ProjectData file from the project (without
iDVD running)

  <key>Bit Rate</key>
    <dict>
     <key>Is modifiable</key>
     <string>1</string>
     <key>Max value</key>
     <string>9800000</string>
     <key>Min value</key>
     <string>2000000</string>
     <key>Order</key>
     <string>20</string>
     <key>Property name</key>
     <string>Bit Rate</string>
     <key>Property persistent name</key>
     <string>Bit Rate</string>
     <key>Property type</key>
     <string>3</string>
     <key>Value</key>
     <string>2000000</string>
    </dict>

I enabled background encoding, adding a short movie and
sure enough, (after extracting the file from the project
file MPEG folder):

/Users/ericasadun/Desktop/MPEGS/try1.m2v
   Mpeg 2 Video File
   Estimated Duration: 06.15s
   Aspect ratio 4/3 (TV)
   Interlaced, chroma format: 4:2:0
   Video Format: NTSC
   Size [720 x 480]     29.97 fps    2.00 Mbps

I got the 2.0 Mbps that I requested.

-- Erica