[MacDV] Macrovision in DVD Studio Pro?

Erica Sadun erica at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 17 21:15:21 PDT 2003

At 11:32 PM -0400 9/17/03, Justin wrote:
>Hi y'all,
>
>I'm looking into picking up a copy of DVD Studio Pro, but I have a
>big question that I just can't seem to find the answer to, from
>Apple or Macromedia. I'm just confused.
>
>The specs for DVD Studio Pro says that it comes with Macrovision. I
>also read on a site that you can burn a DVD with Macrovision
>protection but you need a license (no-fee) from them.
>
>All I want to know, is, can I burn a Macrovision-protected DVD with
>DVD Studio Pro? If so, how do I do it? I just can't find a
>straightforward answer!
>
>Thanks very much in advance.  =)

You can't burn a Macrovision-protected DVD with DVD
Studio Pro. They have to be pressed at a professional
replication facility with a Macrovision license.

There are tags in various inspectors to set the
Macrovision flag. The replicator detects these and
does the encoding as specified.

Few replicators support Macrovision with DVD-R
masters. Most require digital linear tape submission.

Mileage, it do vary.

-- Erica