[MacDV] 24p Panasonic

Jim Zabilla zab at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 18 21:23:15 PDT 2003

I bought one last month and I have been shooting TV commercials with the
Panasonic 24p minidv.  I had a advertising agency that wanted to shoot
"real" people so I did 2 spots on 16mm and was bummed at having to reload
the film every 5 minutes (It was shot with an Aaton with 200'loads).  So I
pitched them to try the Panasonic and they love it. It's very cool and it
does have that nice smooth look that HD has but of course it's not film.  I
did a tape to tape color correction to make it look more like reversal film
than tradition film.  Technically these new dv formats (24p and JVC's HD-dv)
are nowhere near the quality of film and it always looks fake when trying to
make it "film like" by adding film look.  Film look has a non-organic look
pasted over the video. I do think adding some moving noise in post can help
the sharpness of dv overall. When you try to make these cameras look like
film they only look like bad 16mm at best.  Of course if you are shooting HD
with a decent budget and a truck full of lights yeah it can look very much
like film.

Overall, the camera looks great for a $3000 camera. If the talent is kept
out of the hot sun and it's a cloudy day this camera is fantastic.  Like all
video it lacks the contrast and latitude of film but in balanced lighting
conditions it is very good.

Jim