[MacDV] Re: Trying To Figure Out What to Buy

Frank Wiewandt fwphoto at adelphia.net
Fri Sep 19 09:04:37 PDT 2003

> The one thing that may allow you to do everything via FireWire would be a
> FireWire PC card.  By adding a separate FireWire card to your CardBus PC
> (PCMCIA) slot, you'll essentially add an entirely separate FireWire bus,
> thus eliminating contention on the built-in port.  So, you could connect
> your drives to the PC card and connect your camera to the built-in port.
> You may also be able to find FireWire 800 PC cards in the near future (just
> speculating here -- I haven't even seen any FW800 PC cards announced yet).
>
> So...  You may want to give that a try.
>
> Anyone on the list have any experience with this type of setup?

Yep, I use an ADS Pyro card to add a second FW bus to my 800MHz TiG4. I use the
built-in port for my HDs & DVD-R, though, & run my camera (PD-150) into the
card. I've been wanting to experiment a bit, though, especially when I'm not
using my system to capture video.

I wonder if the bus speed is the same for the card & the built-in port. I'm sure
I could look the info up, I just don't have the time right now.

Also, a couple of my peripherals have both FW & USB2. I've been thinking about
getting a card for USB2 but haven't been convinced it would give me much of an
advantage.

Later,

Frank Wiewandt