[MacDV] Trying To Figure Out What to Buy

Mark M. Florida markf at squareblue.com
Fri Sep 19 07:34:13 PDT 2003

The one thing that may allow you to do everything via FireWire would be a
FireWire PC card.  By adding a separate FireWire card to your CardBus PC
(PCMCIA) slot, you'll essentially add an entirely separate FireWire bus,
thus eliminating contention on the built-in port.  So, you could connect
your drives to the PC card and connect your camera to the built-in port.
You may also be able to find FireWire 800 PC cards in the near future (just
speculating here -- I haven't even seen any FW800 PC cards announced yet).

So...  You may want to give that a try.

Anyone on the list have any experience with this type of setup?

And about the DVD burner in a FireWire case -- MAKE SURE THE CASE SUPPORTS
OPTICAL DRIVES!  I got an ADS case last year expecting to install the
DVD-RAM drive that I removed from my G4/500 at work, and it didn't work at
all.  The tech at ADS said I could either send it to them to change the
firmware or I could connect it to a PC and do it myself.  Neither of those
seemed like a good option for me, so I used the case for a hard drive
instead.

- Mark