Trying To Figure Out What to Buy

Ryan Sutter ryan at ryansutter.net
Fri Sep 19 04:44:29 PDT 2003

Hi,

I have a TiBook 550 and I want to use it for video editing.  I replaced
a G4/400 tower that I used to use for video editing so I already have
the software I need (FCP 3) but I am missing two things: adequate disk
space and a DVD burner.

About the first, I have considered upgrading the internal HD from 20 GB
to 60 or more but the cost for a high-performance large capacity laptop
hard drive is significantly higher than a 3.5 inch drive + a FW
enclosure.  So I would rather go that route.  I fully realize that I
can use multiple FW devices daisy-chained but will I run into problems
attempting to capture video to a FW drive that's on the same FW bus as
the video camera is?  Similarly, if I buy a FW DVD burner and want to
burn video from my FW HD to it, will that be a problem?

As far as the DVD burner goes, my goal is to buy an internal burner off
of eBay + a FireWire enclosure.  Other than the fact that iDVD won't
support it, are there any things in particular I should look out for?
Any particular brands/models to avoid or to steer towards?

I'm obviously hoping that my FireWire port can handle all my video
capture, storage and burning needs but I'm skeptical and if you've got
some experience/advice to help me out, I'd appreciate it greatly.

Thanks,

Ryan