no audio on DVD

D. Metzler List Mail dmlm at mail.sis.pitt.edu
Mon Sep 29 12:45:44 PDT 2003

Hello,
I new to DVD and to the list.  I check the archives and couldn't
find relevant information so I hope I'm not repeating a FAQ.

I burned a DVD which has an empty sound file and makes no sound played
on a DVD player although it has sound played on my G4, and the preview
mode of iDVD3 has sound.  I did this twice with the same result.  Here
are the details.  Did any of these steps present a possible reason
for the problem?  Is there anything I might be able to do at this
point?  TIA for any help.

I captured the videa from TV using a Canopus ADVC 1000 to G4 500
laptop with iMovie 3.  The powerbook is updated to  OS 10.2.6
and to the latest iMovie3 and Quicktime 6.3, but doesn't have a
superdrive or iDVD on it.  I captured one piece on the internal drive
and another on an external firewire drive.  (The Canopus was chained
through the external firewire drive which I wondered about but it
seemed to work OK)

Then I transferred the project from the powerbook to the firewire HD
and then connected the firewire HD to a dual 1G G4.  There I duplicated
both of the original iMovie projects, and working in one of the
duplicates I imported (renamed) clips from the other copy.  (First
I tried to just copy the files from the Media folder of one project into
the other but that didn't work which lead me to notice the import
facility.  So that worked and I tried to burn the result but got the
empty sound folder problem.

Thinking that the problem might have involved using the duplicated
project folders I tried the same with the original folders but that
resulted in the same problem.

I have copied several old VHS tapes to DVD successfully so far, but
this was my first attempt at copying directly from TV.  Everything
seemed to be fine in the process except for the resulting disk.

Thanks,
Doug
dmlm at sis.pitt.edu