Do I buy this G4?--MacDV Digest #2656

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Thu Apr 1 20:00:02 PST 2004

What software will come with it, aside from the two operating systems?

I'd look at how processor speed's going to affect what you do, and what
software is going to work well with your machine.

If you're going to spend that kind of money, why not look at a brand
new eMac.

The base model is around $794 at many retailers, but is probably lower
for students.

Apple has education hardware and software pricing for students, and
offers loans. you may find that the education pricing on Final Cut Pro
is around the cost of the retail upgrade.

Your list below doesn't show a monitor, which you'll need.

The eMac has a built in 17" with ATI Radeon 7500 graphics card that has
32MB of Double Data Rate (DDR) memory.

A top-end G4 eMac is around $1094 retail. Less through educational
pricing.

Either machine has  1Ghz G4 processor, much faster than the older
400MHz unit in the machine below.

Bott, can take up to 1GB of RAM (recommended for video editing) a
faster data bus, the top end machine has a SUPERDRIVE that'll burn CD's
and DVD's.

They both come with iMovie, iDVD, Garage Band, iiPhoto and the other
iLife software AND a one-year warranty :-)

Get additional storage by adding Firewire drives.  (Estimate 13GB per
hour of DV material. 120GB drive would give you around 9 hours of
storage after formatting.)

You may spend more to get set up, but you'll be happier in the long run
since the package will be faster and  the "window" of effective
usefulness stretches farther into the future.

My $.25. Your mileage may vary.

Ted.

Ted Langdell
Marysville, CA