DVD writing on *really low* G4?

Bruce Pillman bpillman at rochester.rr.com
Wed Apr 14 12:41:58 PDT 2004

I own a 350 MHz G4, bought back before I was thinking of DV.
Since then, I've acquired a DV camcorder and an analog to digital
video converter (firewire) that do a nice job with my home videos.
The converter is to convert video my old 8mm and VHS VCRs to DV.

I now want to write my home movies to DVDs. My first thought was to buy
a Pioneer superdrive. But, it seems Apple won't support iDVD on a 350
MHz G4,
probably for good reason.

It looks like I can get an external Firewire drive (EZQuest Boa 4x2x12)
that will work with Toast on my system, though I don't want to plunk
down money just on my reading of their web site. Further, I wonder
if the performance would be so abysmal I'd regret it.

I presume I could get a CPU upgrade and a Superdrive, but that is
hundreds of dollars and I've never messed with a CPU upgrade before.
It looks like I could get a used G4 (say 500 MHz to 1 GHz) for under
$1000, but that's the upper limit of my price range.

Can anyone confirm how well a 350 MHz G4 would create DVDs?
If it won't, I'd appreciate any suggestions you have for getting from
here to there.

Thanks!
Bruce Pillman