[MacDV] Re: In defense eMacs-- was350MHz G4 and suggestions--MacDV Digest #2674

Colin McDonald cmmcdonald at mac.com
Sat Apr 17 14:45:38 PDT 2004

On Saturday, Apr 17, 2004, at 21:38 Europe/London, illovox at comcast.net
wrote:
> For my own personal use, I would never buy a first series unit from
> Apple.
> Or any other company.  It's a natural aspect of industrial design.  In
> the
> distant past, these toys were lab-tested.  Now, more than in the past,
> the
> public is the test.

I think many would agree with you there, but the Emac is not a first
series unit now.

When it was new there was a CRT issue with some batches, and Apple were
obliged to respond officially with an article on what to do if your
eMac made a strange and terminal PHUT noise and the screen went blank.
After that was settled, there were no great clamourings that I could
find on the forums apart from the usual rediscoveries of the same
story. I know this because that was around the time when I bought one
and I did research it carefully.

The  contributors to this debate seem to think there might a problem
with heat from the newer, faster eMacs (though the fan sounds powerful
enough to enable an eMac to do VTOL).

Time will tell if we heard it from you first or alternatively that
there is a hex on eMacs at your workplace.

I had to do some Googling on the 'Smally' reference, being UK resident.
But I think I worked it out!

Best regards,

Colin McDonald
now with two eMacs: