[MacDV] Re: In defense eMacs-- was350MHz G4 and suggestions--MacDV Digest #2674

illovox at comcast.net illovox at comcast.net
Sat Apr 17 13:38:07 PDT 2004

on 4/17/04 1:23 PM, Colin McDonald at cmmcdonald at mac.com wrote:

>> I have been an avid mac user and tech for years.  In MY experience,
>> 1st gen
>> eMacs have problems due to heat and cheap components, monitor issues,
>> and
>> all G3 iceBooks  suck because of rotten hinge and cable design.  If
>> your G3
>> iceBook doesn't have a problem now, it will.  Also:
>>
>> 1st gen B&W g3--suck
>> 1st gen G4--suck
>> 1st gen g5--why only one optical drive bay?  Sucks.  Newer cooler G5
>> chips
>> should solve the problem.  Rest is cool.
>
> Why stop there?
> Titanium PowerBooks - sucked so bad they got blown away - paint,
> overheating, broken connections, bad screens.
>
> iPods - another high vacuum topic. Scandalous stuff. Apple forced into
> U turn due to howls of protest from millions of frenzied customers...
>
> I think some of us have been reading too many tabloid newspapers, don't
> you? :-)
>
> Colin McDonald

Nope.  In fact, you do add to the list of things that needed attention.
iPod batteries are/were an issue, one that Apple has acknowledged.  TiBooks
did have problems with paint, lousy airport antenna placement design, etc.
That's why they switched to aluminum designs, better antenna placement,
anodised paint, etc.

For my own personal use, I would never buy a first series unit from Apple.
Or any other company.  It's a natural aspect of industrial design.  In the
distant past, these toys were lab-tested.  Now, more than in the past, the
public is the test.

To wit:  3400c topped 190s, 5300s...not JUST because of a newer processor,
but because of numerous refinements.  Pismo beats Lombard and
Wallstreet...because of refinements as well as faster chips.  MDD G4 is the
final best expression of a line that started with the B&W G3 rev 1.

A friend works on a book.  His last draft is better than his first.

My mother invents a new recipe.  The third time she makes it, it's truly
superb.

etc.

I think some of us have been reading too many Smally affirmations...heheh.