-Digital8 to MiniDV conversion-MacDV- MacDV Digest #3553

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Fri Aug 6 08:56:18 PDT 2004

Ted Langdell
Marysville, CA

By "lifespan" do you mean the expected amount of time that 8mm, Hi8 and
D8 tapes may be physically playable before deterioration occurs?

One might argue that the larger tape width of 8mm/Hi8/D8 would make
that format more "robust" since the data is spread over a larger
surface area on each track, making the system more likely to be able to
play back a deteriorating tape.

Mini-DV/DVCAM/DVCPro tape is roughly half the width of 8mm/Hi8/D8.

I can understand your feelings that Mini-DV decks will be produced
after D8 decks may be off the market.

Ted,