[MacDV] Re: -Digital8 to MiniDV conversion-MacDV- MacDV Digest #3553

Richard Brown richard at go2rba.com
Fri Aug 6 11:57:05 PDT 2004

Just to chime in...

As to the archival nature of DV tape...

Just to add to the string: Disney, which owns ABC Television (and at
least half of all that's good on cable), is in the midst of an
archiving campaign where they are duping Beta SP tapes to DVCAM, which
is MiniDV style tape recorded at the DVCAM spec, which essentially
matches Beta SP for picture with locked audio.  DVCAM tapes are
available in larger sizes than consumer MiniDV, up to 184 minutes, BUT,
MiniDV (consumer size) DVCAM grade tape is available from companies
like Sony.

You simply need to ask for a 40 minute DVCAM tape, which is identical
to a 60 minute MiniDV tape (DVCAM just runs FASTER than MiniDV to
accommodate its specification) which means, in MiniDV format, the DVCAM
40 runs 60 minutes.

The Sony DVCAM tapes work fine in MiniDV equipment, and are
professional grade, not consumer grade. Simply, the mechanism is
professional, which is matched by the larger, professional case, which
puts an air cushion between your tape and the heat of the day, not to
mention the higher quality in general with bona fide, write-worthy
inserts, UNLIKE MiniDV tapes, which scoff at proper record keeping
given their intended amateur perspective.

DVCAM tapes, given the due diligence a company like Disney goes through
prior to making archiving decisions, should likely give anyone
considering archiving to MiniDV the best possible longevity. Digital
recording, in general, is more robust magnetically than analogue.

Like any tape, however, STORAGE becomes a central issue in making an
archive. Tapes should always be stored ON EDGE (the spools of tape are
VERTICAL) and never flat. Tape is very delicate and the weight of a
spool, plus gravity, can cause physical damage over the long (and
sometimes short) term. Next, HUMIDITY is a concern. Control it to limit
oxidation. Finally, store away from speakers and magnetic sources.
Magnetic fields, even at a distance, will slowly erase a tape, but this
is a bit esoteric. Again, digital signals will be more robust than
analog regardless of storage methods, all things being equal.

Richard Brown
go2rba.com