[MacDV] More on a Beige G3 and Video

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Wed Dec 1 18:39:44 PST 2004

On Wednesday, December 1, 2004, at 09:08  PM, illovox at comcast.net wrote:

>  What suggestions aside from maxing ram
> and cpu upgrades do you recommend?

I upgraded a 9600 which is only slightly older than a beige.
Besides a G4 and as many dimms as I could scrape up (448mb), I added:
Radeon 7000 (works great)
Apple 100baseT ethernet card (Shows right up)
Orangelink USB/Firewirecard ( works with iMovie, runs printer
etc.)(there are newer cards)
Some drives. (I had quite a few scsi drives left over from the Video
Toaster)
Yamaha CDR.
Using XPostfacto this machine runs OS 10.2.8 ReaLLY GOOD .
also has 9 on a separate drive for my Digi001 (which needs a software
upgrade to work under OSX)
iTunes iPhoto and iMovie work as they should and recognize all the
hardware as native.
Bus speed is the major hangup with VM cycling the second hangup.

I would add a fast ATA card if I were adding more.
I really think it would play a DVD from an appropriate drive if I did
that and so would yours.
Upgrading is fun.