[MacDV] Using Older Pro Video Cameras

Steve Robertson stever at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 4 06:21:53 PST 2004

Just thought I'd post an update on a subject I raised a while back. I
was wondering then whether you could take a pro analog video camera
with 3 large CCDs and record the analog video output onto miniDV
through an A/D converter.

I found a good deal on two JVC KY-15 cameras (built in '88) that look
like brand new. For recording on miniDV, I looked for an inexpensive
camcorder that would record video coming in through the S-Video jack.
After much shopping, I settled on a JVC GRD70U. To test the idea, I set
up an object in my home studio with plenty of light. I then used the
small GRD70U to record the object - zooming in and out and using both
auto and manual exposure. Then I switched the GRD70U to VTR mode,
plugged in the S-Video output from the big JVC KY-15 and recorded the
same object with the same variables.

The results exceeded my expectations. When played back on a monitor,
the video from the older pro cameras looks better than anything I've
seen from a digital camcorder - including my Sony TRV-900. It looks
about ten times better than the video from the small GRD70U's camera
lens. One catch - I don't need audio from these big cameras. If you do,
you would have to find the right microphone and connectors to get the
audio onto your miniDV tape.

I've seen one company's ad selling a hard disk designed for analog
video cameras that has an A/D converter built in, but the prices start
at about $1,300 - which is more than twice what you would pay for a
good used analog camera, and four times what you would pay for a small
used digital camcorder. JVC also sells a D9 recorder (aka Digital S)
that will dock with the KY series cameras, but it sells for $6,000 new
(and D9 tapes cost $120 each!). JVC claims that D9 is good enough to
use in producing HD video, but I haven't found any info on whether D9
can be made compatible with Final Cut Pro for editing.

Steve R.