[MacDV] FCP to QuickTime to iDVD

Mark M. Florida markf at squareblue.com
Wed Dec 8 09:58:47 PST 2004

Just export it as a Final Cut movie -- it will create a "referencing" movie
to the original clips (no re-compression).  Make sure you render all effects
and transitions before exporting.

Go under File -> Export -> QuickTime movie and use "Current Settings"
setting (I'm assuming you're working with full-res NTSC DV video), include
"Audio and Video", if you have chapter markers make sure to select that in
the "Markers" pull-down, and UNCHECK the "Make Movie Self-Contained" option
(unchecking this lets FCP create a "referencing" movie that points back to
the original files).

Then take that file into iDVD where it will be squashed into MPEG-2 (iDVD
has a pretty good compression engine, so it should look good).

Hope that helps.

- Mark