[MacDV] Voice over Mic Suggestions. iMic?

Jeff Carruthers jeff at carruthers.ca
Wed Dec 8 19:32:09 PST 2004

I have used am Audio-Technica microphone (ATM41HE), a small Eurorack
UB802 mixer with two microphone ins and a headphone output (for
monitoring). plus Peak 4 software, with good results.

The main output from the mixer goes to a minijack that's connected
directly to the line input of my 12" Aluminum Powerbook. I set the main
levels using the sound in under the System Preferences and then
fine-tune from the mixer within the software,

I can then edit the soundtrack in Peak on the computer, playing the
output back through the mixer, and then save as an AIFF or an MP3,
depending on the need.

We carry around the mixer, the mike and cables in an old computer bag I
had used for a Duo mac portable.

I've used iMic and another USB sound-in device, but find it a lot more
direct to use the line-in.

Jeff Carruthers
On Dec 8, 2004, at 9:08 PM, Polkadoter at aol.com wrote:

> Protools MBox is a professional powered interface- I have them for
> onlocation
>  remotes, video shoots and other systems and they work great - and at
> $399 or so (with software)
>  - that can give you xlr inputs etc - even for field recording on a
> laptop (also with a mini-mixing board too).
>    Works great.
>  Linda
>

> > I was always leary of USB audio, but people seem to like the iMic.
>  > Should I just plug in a Microphone to my Mac or via the iMic?
>  >

J-K Carruthers Limited
Publisher of Orders In Council for 25 years
R.R. 1, Perth, ON K7H 3C3
Tel: 613-267-3890; fax 613-267-6727
jeff at carruthers.com    www.carruthers.com