[MacDV] Re: Voiceover Mic Suggestions, iMic?

KathyMac! MacsAndMusic at MusiciansForProgress.org
Wed Dec 8 20:03:02 PST 2004

The MBox definitely has its pros and cons and is an inexpensive option
in terms of getting into Pro Tools software.

However, one of the biggest complaints and problems to surface with it
is the latency issues. The fact that latency is so high on the MBox has
a lot to do with the fact that it is USB based audio.
But the original poster inquired only about voiceover abilities and for
that I am sure it would be fantastic. It's when you get into doing
overdubs for guitar tracks and the like that you will start feeling the
frustration. That being said, even though it would work brilliantly for
simple microphone work I think an MBox with Pro Tools might be a little
bit overkill for that.

I use a Digi002 with Pro Tools. But on the flip side, I also have a
Griffin iMic for my Key Lime clamshell iBook that doesn't have an audio
in. It has worked nicely for simple things and I sometimes use a
simplified software like Sound Studio to capture whatever it is I want
to capture at the moment (most recently the snorting sounds of my pug
dogs up close and personal!)

KathyMac!