[MacDV] Re: Disk Warrior freezing on reboot

Gordon B. Alley galley at texas.net
Tue Dec 21 00:37:10 PST 2004

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 14:46:22 -0700, Neil Poese <npoese at earthlink.net> wrote:
>Gregg Gorrie wrote:
>
>>on 12/20/04 1:23 PM, Neil Poese at npoese at earthlink.net wrote:
>>

>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>I have a high school video lab with 14 emacs of various vintages and one
>>>QS. I just ran Disk Warrior on all of them, but unfortunately, two of
>>>the machines couldn't boot from the DW drive. The reboot screen would
>>>simply freeze and lock up the machines. Since DW worked fine on all of
>>>the rest of the machines - some of them identical to the two that
>>>wouldn't reboot - I'm stumped as to why it wouldn't work, after repeated
>>>tries on these two.  Any ideas?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Neil Poese
>>>

>>Do you mean Disk Warrior on CD (as opposed to hard drive)? If so, it's
>>possible that the CD itself is slightly scratched or dirty. Some CD/DVD-ROM
>>drives are more picky than others and may have problems reading the disk. If
>>this is the problem, try cleaning the disk and the CD drives in question.
>>

>Hmm, good idea! Now I wonder, how do you go about cleaning CD drives?  :-)
>
>Thanks,
>NP

The first thing I'd try is blowing some canned air over the lazer
lens. I just purchase a new DVD recorder. After playing a couple of
DVDs without trouble, the video started breaking up on the next one.
After I shot some canned air in there, it worked just fine. Must have
been something on the lens.

You can also get a CD/DVD cleaning kit. The one I have includes a
special disc that has some small brushes attached to the surface, and
a bottle of cleaning fluid. The disc has a recorded audio program
that tells you how perform the cleaning action.

--Gordon

--
Gordon Alley  <*>
<mailto:galley at texas.net>