[MacDV] Mini Disk Recorders

Tim Selander selander at tkf.att.ne.jp
Tue Dec 21 19:22:51 PST 2004

>>  > Do any of you use Mini Disk Recorders to supplement your sound? If so
>>
>>>  what would be your recommendations on type to buy and how best to use
>>>  it? Thanks for your help.
>

>> Terrible aquisition device for Macs.  No way to transfer the digital data
>> into a Mac.
>
> Having asked that, I'd just like to add that I think Minidisc is a
> terrible device for audio work, as it uses compression.

With two "terrible" "terrible" lions going after the MD 'Christians' in
the colosseum, I feel a bit compelled to speak up for the underdog!
True, unless you buy an optical to USB adapter from someone like Edirol,
(or have digital inputs on your Mac) you don't get digital transfers
into a Mac from an MD. And MD does have compressed audio, at about a 1:5
ratio.

But I go from my MD's analog out to my Mac's analog in with great
results. Have also used an iMic. And DV is compressed 1:5, yet we all
know it's the cat's meow. I'm doing radio production with my MD, for the
most part, and have taken it to broadcast. I wouldn't master music on
the format, but for voice and background music, it's fantastic. Also
have run it as a backup when shooting a choral video -- sound went into
stationary camera in back of the hall and the MD.

Trueman didn't tell us what kind of production he was thinking of, but
if you're shooting weddings and need to capture the vows, etc., an MD
with a lav mic can do the trick. Put the lav mic on the clergy, the MD
in his pocket; with over 5 hours of record time, you've got any service
covered -- no matter how long winded the proceedings get! Wonderful
balance of size, portability, quality and cost.

My one caveat is to always start with a fresh battery. Once lost a
recording because the battery died before it could write the TOC (Table
of Contents).

Tim Selander
Tokyo, Japan