[MacDV] A to D: advice needed....

Nick Scalise nickscalise at mac.com
Sun Dec 26 12:51:51 PST 2004

On Dec 26, 2004, at 1:43 PM, W T McCain III wrote:

> I have been burning DVDs using iMovie, iDVD & Toast for quite a while
> now on my PB Titanium 500 (I upgraded the DVD drive).
>
> I am finally ready to convert my kids extensive VHS collection to DVD.
> I am also ready to convert my extensive collection of 8mm analog video
> tape to DVD.
>
> What is the easiest way to do this?
>
> My digital video camera is a Sony TRV900, so it does not pass through
> via firewire to iMovie.
>
> Is getting a CANOPUS ADVC-110 and importing via my old analog 8mm
> camera into iMovie the easiest way to move the 8mm data?

Since your DV Cam does not support passthru and replacing that
particular model with a newer one that has the same features would be
expensive, the Canopus is probably the way to go.

As a side note the only difference between the ADVC-100 and 110
(besides the 110 being more expensive) is that the 110 is Firewire bus
powered. So if you do not need to have the portability of the 110, get
the 100.

> What is the easiest work flow for moving VHS to DVD? Do I have to
> import into iMovie, or can I use the CANOPUS ADVC-110 to import to
> Toast to burn a DVD?

Import to iMovie then edit, clean, etc. Then you can use Toast or iDVD
on the movie that iMovie creates. Even though it is limited, iMovie is
very nice for what you want to do.

--
Nick Scalise
nickscalise at mac.com