Associate Producer vs. Line Producer?

Carter Tomassi carter at messyoptics.com
Wed Feb 11 11:07:08 PST 2004

> For the DV filmmaker out there I was wondering if some of you can
> clarify
> for me what is the difference (in great detail) the difference between
> these
> two producers?

I always think of the producer controlling the budget, the associate
doing the more mundane things like time cards and calling in crew and
caterers and adding daily costs, and the line producer the person on
the stage making controlling the scheduling of the shoot, equipment
availability, etc.

That's been my impression in the film and commercial end of the bizness
but it does seem to vary on different jobs.

Then there is always that long line of names at the top of the major
film credits with people who do nothing but know the ones in charge of
the picture.

Carter

ps: In a picture with no budget, the director often does it all, unless
she/he is lucky enough to find a person who wants some experience as a
producer/line producer.