80-min mini-dv tapes

Malcolm Hamilton malcolm_hamilton at cbc.ca
Wed Feb 11 13:08:36 PST 2004

Hi everyone -

I can't seem to get 80-minute Sony mini dv tapes here in Canada, but
I can get 80-minute Fuji mini dv tapes, for $8.68 (Cdn.) each.

A couple questions.

1.  If Fuji a good brand?  Comparable to Sony?

2.  I want to record in LP mode, which will give me 120 minutes
record time.  The reason I want to do this is for the purpose of
dumping all my aging Hi-8 tapes, most of which are 120-minutes long,
onto mini-dv, for safe keeping (I know I won't get around to editing
them for years, and don't want the stuff to keep degrading on the
shelf).  Going from one 120-minute tape to another 120-minute tape
will be so much easier than 120 to 60, or 120 to 80.

But, to finally get to my second question:  will recording in LP mode
mean loss in  quality?  (Again, in case it makes a difference, I'll
just be recording onto these tapes once.  Just to archive the stuff).

I'm sorry if we've gone over some of this ground before.  I just want
to be perfectly clear before I spend all this money (I have about 175
Hi-8 tapes to transfer!) on mini-dv tapes.

thanks,
Malcolm