[MacDV] Re: AIFF Quicktime Pro conversion question

Mark M. Florida markf at squareblue.com
Wed Feb 11 15:57:42 PST 2004

On 2/11/04 3:49 PM, FWPHOTO at fwphoto at adelphia.net wrote:

>> AIFF. 44.1k 16 bit.  When I look at a CD on my desktop and examine it.,
>> the tracks say AIFF or CDDA. Usually Aiff.
>
> I'm not familiar with CDDA, so that might be what was causing the confusion.
> I'll stick to AIFF.

Once again -- CDDA is the actual data on the audio CD, and AIFF is just how
the computer interprets it.  The important thing to note is the bit depth
(16 bit) and sampling rate (44.1 kHz) -- and as someone else pointed out in
this way-too-drawn-out thread (which is partially my fault), the file has to
be stereo (your CD authoring app usually does this conversion on-the-fly
when you tell it you want to make an audio CD).

The magic happens in Toast (or iTunes, or whatever CD burning software you
use) when it converts your computer-based audio file (AIFF for example) to
CD audio format on one of those shiny silver discs...

- Mark