[MacDV] 80-min mini-dv tapes

Gerhard Kuhn gerhardk at mac.com
Wed Feb 11 19:52:26 PST 2004

Gerhard Kuhn
suspice at hay.net
On Feb 11, 2004, at 4:08 PM, Malcolm Hamilton wrote:

> Hi everyone -
>
> I can't seem to get 80-minute Sony mini dv tapes here in Canada, but I
> can get 80-minute Fuji mini dv tapes, for $8.68 (Cdn.) each.

I have used 60 minute Fuji tapes and they are, in my opinion, as good
as Sony but when you go to longer tape you have thinner tape that is
more liable to have flaws and more likely to be damaged by camera's
drive mechanism.  When you take this tape and record in LP mode the
tape will theoretically have the same information recorded as it would
at normal speed, but in reality with the longer tape having a higher
incident of flaws you will almost certainly experience some/few/many?
video dropouts. The other problem with LP mode is that the tape is
moving slower so any flaws will be magnified eg. last 1 1/2 times
longer.

If I was planning to do your project I would spring for the extra
tapes, spend the time splitting the Hi 8 tapes over two DV tapes and
look forward to less frustration down the road.

Gerhard