[MacDV] Upgrading

filipp filipp at imo.ee
Thu Feb 12 22:09:00 PST 2004

I recommend Westerd Digital drives,
they're reliable, quiet and give very good
performance. The Seagate's are OK too. I'd
steer clear of Maxtor's IDE drives as those
have the highest failure rate in the industry
atm.
Here's a nice resource for deciding on a new HD:
http://storagereview.com/php/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=LeaderBoard

Controller cards? You mean to add more drives? I think
there aren't that many options out there. All I can think
of right now is the Sonnet Tempo 133:
http://www.sonnettech.com/product/tempo_ata133.html
which works well (any experience with Panther, anyone?) and gives you an
extra four ATA 133 drive slots (the earlier
G4's came with 66Mhz ATA if I recall correctly, so this
should give a nice performance boost as well)

And yes, get as much RAM as you can get.

... just some ideas.

-filipp