[MacDV] Re: "Jaggies" on titles in QT movies exported from FCP

Mark M. Florida markf at squareblue.com
Mon Feb 23 09:39:07 PST 2004

On 2/22/04 11:01 PM, James Asherman at jimash at optonline.net wrote:

> On Sunday, February 22, 2004, at 11:38  PM, Ted Langdell wrote:
>
>> I did pull the files back into FCP and look at them.  The jagged edges
>> show up when the movie is stopped, but not when its moving, so I'm
>> thinking I might be seeing the effects of the individual fields rather
>> than complete frames being shown.
>>

> That would be right. It's just the display. Not the program.

FCP and QuickTime Player show a "low-res" version of the video so it
displays faster on the computer monitor -- FCP "saves its energy" for the
full-res video output.

One thing you can do in QuickTime Player is type command-J (or "Get Movie
Properties" under the "Movie" menu), then in the Properties window choose
"Video Track" under the left pull-down, and "Quality" under the right
pull-down.  Now check "High Quality Enabled" and you can see your video
pixel-for-pixel on your computer monitor.  (I think you need the "Pro"
version, which you should have anyway if you have FCP)  Keep in mind,
though, that video is interlaced, so if there is a lot of motion, it may
still look "jaggie" on your computer monitor, but will play smoothly on a TV
or video monitor.

- Mark