File names when importing stills into FCP--MacDV Digest #2610

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Wed Feb 25 08:08:15 PST 2004

A word or two about setting up to scan, especially when a lot of
pictures are involved.

I've used this method when dealing with projects involving 100-300
photos and it works very effeciently.

To save time cleaning up a lot of dust, spots and scratches, I'd highly
recommend using SilverFast's SE or AI software. It really made a
difference in what I had to do (or DIDN'T have to do) on the projects.

The SE version can be downloaded as a demo so you can try before you
buy. $49 to purchase.
http://www.silverfast.com/show/silverfast-se/en.html Works with OS X in
most cases... but you can test with the demo.

Sort the pictures before you scan and put them into the order they'll
end up in your timeline.  Clients can do this.

Putting little stickers pre-numbered with pencil on the back of each
photo helps make the process go faster, and avoids damage to the
photos. Pencil on the sticker won't hurt the face of the photo it rubs
up against.  Pen ink can.

When scanning, save into a dedicated folder using three digit numbers,
and then whatever text description fits the picture...
002-GrandmaHugsCarol

Before importing into FCP... set your freeze/still duration (in
preferences) to something under 5 seconds.  I find 2.5 works real well
and fits most music.

When you import into FCP, select file>import>folder and choose the
folder you saved the files into.

In the "Favorites" menu section, choose a transition to use. (Cross
Dissolve is always a good choice)

Open the folder in your FCP browser, select ALL the pictures and drag
them to the canvas, dropping them onto the "with transition" button.
FCP will plop them in the timeline in numerical order... and
automatically add your selected "favorite" transition.  My jaw almost
dropped when I tried it the first time.

I suspect the same thing will work with iMovie.

Add your music selection to the timeline, so you can see how they work
together.

Then all you have to do is go through each picture and set the
beginning and ending sizes and positions... and maybe adjust the timing
and you're ready to render, if necessary.

If you need to insert photos in between the ones already in the
timeline... use letters.

For example... I need to add three pictures between 062 and 063.  The
new ones become 062A, 062B, 062C.  That keeps them in order in your
folder, in FCP and if you needed to redo putting the entire folder's
worth of photos into the timeline for some reason.

When you're finished... you can burn the photos to CD for your client,
and that becomes either a value-added item in your package, or
something that brings in extra money.

Ted Langdell
Marysville, CA