New to list: Questions about DV components

Randy Clark hawkgx at planetkc.com
Wed Feb 25 18:02:43 PST 2004

On Feb 25, 2004, at 7:16 AM, Macintosh Digital Video List wrote:

> You may just have to come to terms with the fact that you'll need a
> new(er) system to do what you want, or you'll need a dedicated set-top
> type of DVD recorder.  I'd say an eMac or G4 iMac would be the bare
> minimum (or any G4 tower as well) -- any system that fully supports OS
> X and Quartz Extreme would be optimal for running 10.3 and a DVD
> authoring app like iDVD or Toast Titanium 6.

I'd second the notion of upgrading the system (easy to say when it's
not my money). Although to be honest, I just bought a 1ghz eMac that's
replaced my 500mhz iMac DV SE for video work, so I feel the pain of
laying out jack for a new machine.  I'd have to say that I've been
tremendously pleased with the decision to buy the eMac.  For less than
$1,000 I moved up to a G4 processor,  an internal SuperDrive & 1GB of
RAM.  Everyone's talked about chucking a lot of RAM at OS X, but now I
understand first hand what the fuss was about.

If a new system is possible, but you're on a tight budget, I'd look
into an eMac. I got mine at SmallDog for a terrific price with very
fast shipment. No affiliation with them other than being a very
satisified customer.  It sure beats the limited DVD capabilities I had
with the old G3 iMac and an external DVD burner!