[MacDV] Re: imovie storage

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Fri Jan 2 06:30:05 PST 2004

On Dec 30, 2003, at 8:38 PM, Juan Mariscal wrote:

Sorry, I'm getting into this kind of late, but...

> Alternatively, you can do what I have done and that is buy an internal
> drive and put it in an external case.
>
> go to http://www.compgeeks.com/specials.asp?cat=MAC
> and check out the external cases there. I managed to find one
> (firewire) that accommodated two hard drives (for about $55).

OTOH, it usually only costs ~$50 more to buy the drive in a FW
enclosure to begin with. Personally, I've never found it cost effective
to put a new drive into a FW enclosure myself. The price difference has
rarely been more than $10 that I've seen and is typically only $5.

With respect to internal drives, OWC is selling the 120 GB IBM/Hitachi
180GXP's for $99. I'd fill up internal bays with these (the FW version
is currently $159).

Also, to use anything bigger than 128 GB you need an mirrored door G4
or a different controller card. For details see
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86178> .

Hope this helps, even though its a bit late.

-Mike