[MacDV] Re: more about the inutility of defragmenting an OS X FS.

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Fri Jan 2 06:51:15 PST 2004

On Dec 31, 2003, at 3:23 PM, James Asherman wrote:

> I',
> not stupid. I know how a disc works and what are the illusions and
> what are the realities.
>  The reality is we need 10's of gigs all ina row so that we miss not
> 1/60th of a second of video looking for someplace new to put it.

The only time I've ever had iMovie report that the hard drive was too
slow was when the internal drive of an iMac DV (450 MHz G3) was down to
~500 MB and hadn't been defragged in ages. I could literally hear that
one coming -but I just needed a few more seconds....

I can capture video to an external FW drive while simultaneously
copying files from that drive to my internal drive. Yes, the copy takes
longer, but I don't miss a frame (that's using a G4, haven't tried it
on the iMac).

I know this may sound heretical, but IMO capturing DV is not that much
of a stress on hard drives these days. Fragmentation alone simply isn't
going to cause you to drop frames. If even an old iMac can do it, and
an old, 5400 rpm drive in a first generation FW enclosure can do it
without problems...

  If you're actually getting dropped frames, I'd seriously start looking
elsewhere for problems.

And other than exporting to DV, any other types of operations I do take
longer than "real time", so the hard drive speed is pretty irrelevant
there as well.

-Mike